10 Daily Habits to Look Younger: Tips for a Youthful Appearance
As we age, it’s natural for our skin to lose some of its youthful glow and vitality. However, there are daily habits that we can adopt to help slow down the aging process and keep our skin looking and feeling healthy.
In this blog post, we’ll share 10 daily habits that can help you look younger and feel more confident in your appearance.
10 Daily Habits to Look Younger
1. Take Sleep and Hydration Seriously
Not getting enough sleep? Along with negative effects on your health, lack of sleep contributes to premature aging.
During sleep, important hormones are released that support renewal, repair, and cell turnover. When you don’t get enough sleep, the skin has less time to spend on the repair process.
Aim to consistently sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours every night. Bonus points: Use a satin pillowcase (the smooth fabric prevents the friction and tugging that standard cotton pillowcases can cause).
Along with getting enough sleep, be sure to stay adequately hydrated by drinking enough water every day. Dehydration hurts the skin, leaving it dull and dry rather than resilient and supple.
Struggle to drink enough water? Perk up your water in a healthy, natural way with these tips:
- Add a few fresh or frozen berries
- Toss in a few mint leaves
- Add fresh cucumber slices
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon or lime juice
You can also increase your hydration levels by increasing your intake of fruits with high water content, such as cantaloupe, watermelon, and cucumber
2. Protect Your Skin from the Sun
One of the easiest anti-aging tips is protecting your skin from the sun by wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen every day — even if it is rainy, cold, or cloudy.
Studies show that UVA and UVB rays can cause damage that accounts for up to 90% of visible skin aging. UV rays harm the skin by breaking down elastin and collagen, leading to sagging, age spots, uneven tone, dullness, and wrinkles.
Use a high-quality sunscreen (at least SPF 30 or higher) that blocks UVA and UVB rays. Wear it every day, reapplying as necessary.
And remember, don’t stop at your face. Apply sunscreen to other commonly exposed areas, such as the backs of your hands, the chest, and the neck.
3. Eat a Healthy Diet
‘You are what you eat’ is a popular phrase for a reason. A diet rich in nutrients and vitamins can help fight inflammation and oxidative stress, both of which contribute to premature aging.
Aim to consume a diet rich in antioxidants, plant-based foods, healthy fats, high-quality protein, and nutrient-dense whole foods.
Here are some of the best anti-aging foods to add to your diet:
- Leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
- Bell peppers
- Bone broth
- Fatty fish (wild-caught salmon, sardines, anchovies, etc.)
- Nuts (walnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds, and pistachios)
- Sweet potatoes
- Herbs and spices (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, turmeric, cinnamon, sage, parsley)
- Seeds (flax seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds)
- Extra virgin olive oil
4. Exercise Regularly
Staying active supports the growth of lean muscle and is scientifically proven to help maintain a healthy weight.
Exercising at least a few days a week supports a youthful appearance by supplying nutrients and oxygen to your cells, maintaining muscle mass and strength, increasing blood flow, and helping to prevent the skin from thinning.
5. Manage Stress Levels
Along with the negative impact it can have on your overall health, chronic stress contributes to accelerated aging.
While no one can completely avoid stress, it is important to take steps to keep your stress levels in check.
You can help manage stress levels by:
- Regularly partaking in your favorite hobbies
- Getting good quality sleep consistently
- Hanging out with friends and loved ones
- Practicing mindfulness
- Writing in a gratitude journal or hobby journal
- Practicing deep breathing techniques and meditation regularly
- Exercising consistently, at least a few times a week
- Volunteering or performing regular acts of kindness
- Spending more time in nature
- Scheduling time every day for self-care, even if it is just 5 or 10 minutes
6. Avoiding Smoking and Excessive Alcohol Consumption
Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can wreak havoc on your health, and the state of your skin. Alcohol is dehydrating and can contribute to collagen breakdown.
- Promoting premature wrinkles
- Contributing to deep lines around the lips, likely from the repetitive sucking motion of smoking a cigarette
- Increasing the production of an enzyme that harms collagen, leading to increased wrinkles and sagging and decreased elasticity
- Drying out the skin
- Constricting blood vessels, leading to a reduced supply of nutrients and oxygen for your skin cells
- An increased risk of psoriasis
7. Take Care of Your Teeth
Your smile is often one of the first things someone will notice about you. White, bright teeth help contribute to a healthy, youthful appearance.
Along with helping you look younger, taking care of your oral health supports overall health. So, healthy teeth can make you look and feel good.
Here are some key ways to support your oral health:
- Ask your dentist about teeth whitening options
- Avoid the use of tobacco products
- Drink enough water (along with supporting your overall health, water helps support saliva production)
- Floss every day
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- See your dentist for regular checkups
- Use a night guard to prevent wear and tear if you grind your teeth at night
8. Use Gentle Skincare Products
Along with drinking enough water to stay internally hydrated, it is important to hydrate your skin externally. A gentle skincare routine featuring a cleanser, serum, SPF, and moisturizer can help support a soft, hydrated complexion that looks youthful and healthy.
Opt for skincare products with nourishing, proven ingredients such as ceramides, antioxidants, and peptides.
Also, try to choose products that are free of phthalates, sulfates, parabens, artificial fragrances, and artificial dyes.
The scientists at Isagenix developed the Celletoi collection to provide a comprehensive approach to anti-aging skincare.
With a gentle cleanser, nourishing serum, firming moisturizer, and a luxurious eye treatment, the Celletoi™ Complete Collection offers an all-in-one approach to balanced, vibrant, firm, glowing skin.
Remember to take your skincare down to your neck and chest. These often-forgotten spots are some of the first areas to show signs of aging.
Related Reading: The Ultimate Summer Skincare Guide
9. Get Regular Check-Ups
When you feel good, it helps you look good.
Regular checkups may not strike you as one of the best anti-aging tips, but taking care of your overall health is important for healthy aging.
Seeing your doctor for your annual checkup can help ensure any underlying issues are detected early. Be sure to stay up to date on all your checkups and screenings to support your overall health and stay looking and feeling your best.
10. Consider a Collagen Supplement
You may also want to consider adding a collagen supplement to your routine. In recent years, collagen has been rapidly gaining a reputation as an effective, powerful anti-aging supplement.
Possible benefits of collagen supplementation include:
- Supporting a more youthful appearance by fighting the effects of photoaging
- Nourishing the skin from the inside out
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Supporting healthy hair and nails
Want More Tips on Looking and Feeling Your Best?
Aging is a normal and inevitable part of life. But consistently following a healthy lifestyle can help you feel and look your best — at any age!
By adopting these daily habits, you can help slow down the aging process and maintain a more youthful appearance. For more health and wellness tips, check out our blog or contact us for personalized advice on supplements and anti-aging skincare.