Building Muscle for Beginners: Tips and Workouts to Get You Started
Are you wanting to learn tips for building muscle but have no idea where to start? We’ve got you covered with our guide to muscle growth for beginners.
In this article, you’ll find workout tips for building muscle, nutrition for muscle growth, information on muscle growth supplements, and the importance of rest for muscle growth.
A Guide to Muscle Growth for Beginners
Here are four key steps to muscle growth for beginners.
1. Workout Tips for Building Muscle
If you are trying to build muscle as a beginner, it can be daunting to get started. If you have never followed a workout routine or stepped into a gym, it can be an especially overwhelming process.
The good news is that you can start building muscle today — even without heading to the gym.
Here are the best workout tips for building muscle as a beginner.
- Start Slow — If you are new to building muscle, take small steps and start slow. You don’t even need to head to the gym if you aren’t comfortable yet. You can support muscle growth right from the comfort of your own home with a simple routine featuring bodyweight exercises. No complicated equipment or gym membership is needed!
- Get Dynamic — A proper warm-up before your workout can help reduce your risk of injury and enhance athletic performance. Dynamic stretching is often recommended as one of the most effective warmups.
Dynamic stretching focuses on getting the heart rate up and preparing the body for movement. Focus on dynamic stretches such as arm circles, leg swings, squats, and jumping jacks.
- Switch Things Up — Once you establish a workout routine for muscle growth, you should be proud of yourself! However, it is important to switch things up to avoid plateaus. As you get more comfortable with a routine, try new workouts, equipment, or classes.
Switching things up will also keep your workouts interesting and keep your motivation levels high. Excellent training tools to try include bosu balls, free weights, battle ropes, TRX suspension trainers, medicine balls, and kettlebells. To ensure safety, you may want to consider a personal trainer who can educate you on proper form and usage when trying out new exercise equipment.
- Focus on Compound Movements — Compound exercises are movements that work for multiple muscle groups at once. Compound exercises are all about training smarter, not harder. To incorporate compound exercises into your workout routine, focus on moves such as push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, presses, and deadlifts.
- Find the Right Balance — Muscle growth requires the right balance of strength training and cardio. Be sure to include a mix of strength training and cardio training in your workout regime to support overall wellness and muscle growth.
- Have Fun! — It is important to find a workout you enjoy. When you find workouts you look forward to, you are more likely to stay consistent with your exercise routine.
If you despise running, find other fun ways to get your cardio in. Try a group dance class, an intense hike with a friend, jumping rope, kettlebell workouts, or rowing. If strength training isn’t your thing, experiment with different equipment to prevent boredom and keep your muscles guessing.
- Practice Progressive Overload — Progressive overload is a concept that focuses on continuously increasing the amount of effort you exert during workouts. For instance, completing an additional rep or lifting heavier weights than your previous workouts. Progressive overload helps promote muscle growth by forcing your muscles to continue adapting, helping you get stronger and continue seeing results.
Focus on increasing your training and efforts gradually and consistently. Trying to progress too fast can result in poor form, injury, and decreased results. Even if you aren’t ready for heavier weight or additional reps, focus on what you can improve. Each time you work out, try to use a better form, push yourself harder, or take less rest between sets.
Related Reading: How to Build Triceps
2. Focus on Proper Nutrition
During a workout, muscles get broken down and glycogen stores get depleted.
After a workout, glycogen stores and amino acids need to be replenished to repair muscles and fuel muscle growth.
Consuming the right combination of healthy carbs, healthy fats, and high-quality protein ensures your body has the nutrients it needs to support muscle growth and repair.
Here are a few examples of healthy, easy post-workout meals for muscle growth:
- Whole grain, sprouted bread with nut butter
- A bowl of oatmeal or quinoa topped with berries and nuts
- An omelet with veggies (broccoli, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach) and a side of avocado on toast
- Cottage cheese and a side of fresh fruit
- A high-quality protein shake and a banana
- Whole grain crackers and carrot sticks with hummus
- Tuna or salmon with whole-grain crackers
- Rice crackers with nut butter
- Salmon, sardines, or other fatty fish and a side of starchy vegetables such as sweet potatoes or squash
- A smoothie made with leafy greens, avocado, frozen berries, and unsweetened yogurt
- Grilled chicken with a side of roasted vegetables
The number of calories you need for muscle growth will depend on your current weight, training regime, goals, your metabolism, and your age.
Related Reading: A Guide to Post-Workout Nutrition
3. Get Enough Sleep and Rest
Did you know recovery days and sleep are just as important for muscle growth as exercise? During workouts, you tear down the muscles. The recovery process is when muscle growth occurs as the body repairs itself.
Without proper rest, you are at risk of overtraining. This can lead to reduced results and even injury.
It is important to always listen to your body, schedule rest days into your training regime, and get at least 7 to 9 hours of high-quality sleep every night. During sleep, a growth hormone responsible for muscle growth regulation is released.
To prevent overtraining, avoid working out on back-to-back days, participate in active recoveries such as stretching, yoga, walks, or swimming, and take steps to keep your stress levels in check.
Related Reading: 10 of the Best Tips for Building Lean Muscle
4. Consider Muscle Growth Supplements
Muscle growth supplements are designed to ensure the body has the protein and nutrients it needs to fuel lean muscle growth.
Adequate protein consumption is key for muscle growth. If you struggle to hit your recommended protein requirements, a high-quality protein shake can be an easy, delicious way to make sure you are fueling muscle growth.
IsaLean Shakes from Isagenix was created as a low-cost, convenient way to meet protein requirements and support muscle growth.
The professionally formulated, clinically proven IsaLean Shake is:
- Packed with 24 grams of high-quality, undenatured protein sourced from grass-fed cows
- Full of minerals, enzymes, omega-3 fatty acids, complex carbs, and healthy fats
- Made from premium ingredients
- Formulated to feature a superior amino acid profile
- Designed to boost fat burning, support lean muscle growth, and reduce cravings
- Free of artificial colors, sweeteners, preservatives, flavors, fillers, gluten, or soy
Related Reading: 10 Benefits of Isagenix AMPED
Want More Tips for Muscle Growth, Wellness, and Nutrition?
We hope these tips for muscle growth help you get closer to your fitness and wellness goals. If you are looking for more tips on muscle growth, wellness, or nutrition, please contact our team.
We are always happy to answer any of your questions, recommended pre and post-workout supplements tailored to your personal fitness goals, and suggest products that will complement your training routine.