The Best Exercises to Improve Your Balance
Most of us don’t give much consideration to our balance until we experience a fall. However, we experience a decrease in balance with age and may not notice it at first.
Fortunately, just as the right exercises can help you fight age-related muscle loss, balance exercises may be able to help you improve and maintain your balance. Here, we’ll cover the benefits of balance exercises and simple balance exercises to try out at home.
What Are Balance Exercises?
Balance exercises are movements that challenge your balance and call on stabilising muscles to keep you from falling or tipping. There is a wide range of balance exercises you can do in your home or balance training equipment you can purchase.
Benefits of Balance Exercises?
Balance exercises work to help you maintain or improve your balance. While something as simple as walking can help you maintain good balance, targeted balance exercises can have a significant impact on your physical performance, strength training, and overall well-being.
Potential benefits of balance exercises include:
- Reduced risk of falls and injuries
- Improved coordination
- Enhanced strength
- Improved proprioception
- Ease of movement
- Improved ability to comfortably perform daily tasks
- An effective technique for clearing your mind and improving focus
- Improved athletic performance
How Balance Exercises Work
Balance exercises work the legs, lower back, and core muscles to help improve strength and balance. Any exercise that challenges your stability can be considered a balance exercise.
The Best Balance Exercises
When first starting with balance exercises:
- Ask for someone to assist you if needed
- Start slowly
- Remember that the moves may feel challenging at first but will get easier with practice
- Increase repetitions or time as needed
- Always check with your doctor before beginning a new exercise program
Here are some of the best balance exercises that can be done with minimal space and equipment.
1. Weight Shifts
- Stand with weight evenly distributed and feet hip-distance apart
- Shift your weight to the left side as you slowly lift your right foot slightly off the floor
- Aim to hold the position as long as you can, focusing on good form (aim for between 10 and 30 seconds)
- Return to starting position and repeat on the opposite side
- Increase the length of time you hold the position as you improve
2. Single-Leg Balance
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and keep your weight evenly distributed between both legs
- Place your hands on your hips
- Lift your right leg off the floor and bend it back at the knee
- Maintain good form as you hold the position as long as you can, aiming to reach 30 seconds
- Return to the beginning position and repeat on the opposite side
- Increase the amount of time you hold the position as you improve
3. Flamingo Stand
- Stand on your right leg and lift your left leg
- Use a wall or chair if needed for support
- Stretch your left leg forward in front of you, aiming to get it parallel to the floor
- Keep good form by keeping your head, neck, and spine in one line
- Extend your hand to reach toward your left foot for an added challenge
- Hold for 15 seconds or more
- Repeat on the opposite side after returning to the starting position
4. Bean Bag Balance
- Put a bean bag or a similar item on your shoulder or top of your head
- Maintain good posture as you walk in a line and try to keep the object balanced atop your head or shoulder
- To increase the challenge, try walking backward, side to side, in a circle, or a weaving pattern
5. Heel-To-Toe Walking
- Bring your arms out to your side so they are parallel to the floor
- Make a line to follow (you can use string or chalk to draw one)
- Trying to walk in a straight line, place the back of your heel in front of your opposite toes
- Walk slowly and deliberately as you take control, stable steps
- Continue heel-to-toe walking for 5 or more steps (work your way up to 20 heel-to-toe steps)
The Best Balance Workouts
Certain workouts are excellent for challenging stability and balance, including:
- Tai chi
- Certain Pilates practices
- Bosu ball workouts
Adding Bodyweight Exercises to Your Balance Workout
If you want to amp up your balance exercises with an equipment-free workout you can do at home, check out our guide to a full-body bodyweight workout you can do in 20 minutes.
What Role Does Nutrition Play?
As you are working to maintain and improve your balance, the right nutrition can keep you energised and nourished.
Isagenix has a dedicated range of wellness products that can assist with your balance training. We highly recommend:
- Isagenix IsaPro — Featuring a powerful blend of 36 grams of undenatured whey protein, vitamins, micronutrients, minerals, healthy carbs, and fats, this convenient meal replacement shake is ideal for supporting your balance exercise workouts. With ingredients specifically designed to help fight off age-related muscle loss and promote the growth of lean muscle, you can help your body maintain and build strength as you work on your balance.
- 5-Piece Sample Pack — Sample the benefits of the Isagenix lifestyle with five of Isagenix’s most popular products or share your favourite products with family and friends — a perfect introduction to Isagenix products or a convenient travel kit when you’re on the go.
- AMPED Repair — Support your body’s recovery process after a session of balance exercises with the targeted ingredients in AMPED™ Repair, an ideal post-workout supplement for easing muscle soreness and promoting muscle recovery.
- AMPED Hydrate — Fuel up for a balanced workout with AMPED Hydrate to stay replenished, hydrated, and energized for your exercises. Although water is important for hydration, AMPED Hydrate includes a customized blend of nutrients and electrolytes that help fuel the body through tough workouts, increase endurance, and support post-workout recovery.
Want More Health Tips?
If you would like more health tips or personalised product recommendations, we invite you to contact us. You can also check out our blog where our team of qualified nutritionists, clinical nurses, chiropractors, exercise physiologists and health experts share their top health, nutrition, diet, and fitness tips. We’d love to be a part of your weight loss or wellness journey!