Nootropics: Benefits, Types, and How They Work
Whether you are a busy professional with constant deadlines to meet, an older individual concerned about keeping your brain as sharp as possible, or a busy college student, many of us are intrigued by the idea of a supplement that can boost brain power and support cognitive function and overall brain health.
If you’ve wondered if brain supplements work and if they are right for you, read on to learn all about the use of nootropics, the safety of nootropics, and the benefits of nootropics.
What Are Nootropics?
Nootropics, often referred to as ‘smart drugs’, are a class of natural or synthetic substances that can be taken in supplement form to help support mental performance in healthy individuals.
Nootropics typically include natural ingredients such as:
- Botanical extracts
- Omega 3s
- Amino acids
As supplements, nootropics are intended to support concentration, cognitive function, memory, and overall brain health.
How Do Nootropics Work?
Nootropics are believed to work by acting on the areas of circulation, neuronal growth, energy metabolism, and other important brain pathways. Targeted botanical ingredients may help optimize brain health by providing antioxidant protection, anti-inflammatory effects, and neurotransmitter support.
What Are the Benefits of Nootropics?
Although further research is needed, a wide range of nootropics exist. With potent ingredients linked to brain health, the potential benefits of Nootropics are reported to include:
- Cognitive support
- Enhanced mental performance
- Sharper focus
- A decrease in a mental fog
- Enhanced concentration
- Boosted memory
- Support for decision-making skills
- Overall brain health support
- Stimulate creativity
- Motivation support
- Support intelligence
Common Ingredients in Nootropics
High-quality nootropics supplements contain powerful ingredients, including botanicals, herbs, and nutraceuticals. You may be surprised to learn that you already consume a popular nootropic ingredient every day in your morning brew.
Common nootropic ingredients include:
- Caffeine – If you drink coffee, your morning ritual includes a nootropic ingredient. Caffeine is also found in tea, cocoa, and as an additive in energy drinks and certain medications. As a natural chemical, caffeine works to block adenosine receptors in the brain to decrease fatigue, improve alertness, and increase attention and reaction time.
- Amla – Known for its ability to help support neuroprotection, overall vitality, and cognition.
- Phosphatidylserine – A component of brain tissue known to support cognitive function and memory.
- Purslane Extract – A plant with well-known brain-supportive and nutraceutical properties.
- Green tea extract – A natural caffeine source that gives your brain the buzz its needs to support mental focus, decision-making, and working memory. *
- L-Theanine – This amino acid is found in tea to produce a natural calming effect without drowsiness.
- Panax Ginseng
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Bacopa monnieri
What Is the Best Nootropic Supplement?
Many people wonder, “What is the best nootropic supplement?” While the answer depends on your current health and goals, a natural, balanced, high-quality nootropic supplement can be a great place to start.
Isagenix created Nootropics Elixir as a powerful way to support healthy cognitive function. Nootropic Elixir is designed to help boost memory, focus, and brain function through powerful natural and nootropic ingredients, including:
- Purslane – Protective phytonutrients
- Amla – Protective phytonutrients
- Green tea extract – Natural caffeine for steady energy
- Beetroot – supports blood flow and oxygen delivery for optimal mental performance
- Phosphatidylserine – Sourced from plants, a component of nerve cells, supports cognitive function and alertness
Advantages of Nootropics Elixir
- Convenient and ready to drink so you can support brain health on-the-go
- Natural source of caffeine from green tea extract to support balanced energy levels without the crash
- Free of artificial colors, sweeteners, and flavors
Potential Health Benefits of Nootropic Elixir
- Mood support
- Brain power optimization
- Enhanced mental performance
- Brain health support
- Supports focus
Are Nootropics Safe?
The safety of any nootropic supplement depends on the individual and their current health condition. Isagenix formulates all of its products to be as safe and efficacious as possible. As with any supplement, it is always important to talk with your doctor first and discuss any health conditions you have or medications you take.
Other Ways to Support a Healthy Brain
The use of smart drugs and nootropics is becoming more and more popular, but further research is needed to fully understand their potential benefits.
While there are many amazing brain health supplements available, you can also naturally support brain health in several ways, including:
- Consuming a healthy, balanced diet featuring whole foods, fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats
- Staying physically active — exercise is proven to be an effective, safe way to boost brain function
- Getting enough sleep
- Taking good care of your heart health
- Taking care of your mental health
- Maintaining a social life
- Continuing to learn new things (learn a new skill, take up a new hobby, take a new class, etc.)
- Managing stress levels
Want To Learn More About Supplements for Brain Health?
If you want to learn more about the best supplement for brain health or have any questions for our team, please contact us. We’d be happy to chat with you to answer all of your questions or offer personalized product recommendations.