10 Tips for Healthier Hair
Has your hair been looking dull and rough? With the right changes to your hair care routine, you can help combat dullness, dryness, breakage, thinning, and other common hair issues.
We’ve put together the 10 best tips for healthy hair to help you get the shiniest, strongest strands possible.
1. Brush Your Hair Before Showering
Untangling your strands before a shower has a couple of key benefits. Wet hair is more susceptible to breakage, making it important to brush out any knots while your hair is dry.
Brushing your hair also distributes natural oils from your scalp through to the ends of your hair, helping to protect and nourish it during a shower.
2. Turn Down the Water Temp When Showering
Long, hot showers have the potential to irritate the scalp and possibly weaken hair. Aim to keep the temperature warm but not too hot. At the end of your shower, seal your cuticles by rinsing your strands with cold water.
3. Condition Properly
Conditioning helps seal in moisture, add shine, and infuse important nutrients into strands. To use conditioner correctly, follow these steps:
- Use the amount of conditioner recommended on the bottle (using too much product can weigh hair down while not enough will leave your strands dehydrated)
- Choose a conditioner based on your hair type
- Work conditioner from mid-shaft down to the ends of the hair and use the remaining conditioner on your scalp
- Give the conditioner time to work (aim to leave it in for at least a minute)
4. Eat a Nutritious Diet
A healthy diet can translate to healthier hair. Since hair is mostly protein, aim to eat a balanced diet featuring a variety of sources of protein. Also, opt for foods rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
For your healthiest hair, try adding the best foods for shiny hair to your healthy grocery shopping list:
- Fatty fish such as tuna, sardines, or wild-caught salmon
- Bell pepper
- Sweet potatoes
- Foods rich in antioxidants, specifically vitamins E and C, to help support collagen production (excellent options include berries, avocados, spinach, almonds, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds)
- Bone broth
- Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts)
5. Sleep on a Silk Pillowcase
If you want to get your beauty sleep, consider swapping out your cotton pillowcase for a silk one. Silk reduces the amount of friction between the fabric and your hair, helping to protect the cuticle and prevent breakage.
Sleeping with your hair in a loose topknot or a loose, low braid can also help keep your strands protected at night.
6. Protect Hair from the Sun’s Rays
We all know the damage the sun’s UV rays can cause to your skin, but did you know the sun damages your hair as well? When styling your hair, consider using a leave-in product containing UV protection for your strands. Some products also help protect against environmental factors such as pollution that can lead to dull, brittle hair.
7. Consider a Hair Supplement
When included as part of a healthy diet, the right hair supplement can help fortify and strengthen your strands. Look for a supplement such as Isagenix Essentials for Women that features fatty acids, powerful nutrients, and antioxidants to help nourish hair from the inside out.
8. Choose Strengthening Ingredients
Considering all the ingredients and marketing claims, it can be overwhelming to choose between all the hair care options. Knowing what ingredients to look for can narrow down the process.
Look for products with ingredients that strengthen and nourish hair such as:
- Banana flower extract (an ingredient with clinical evidence to prove its ability to help support thicker, healthier, stronger hair
- Horsetail herb extract
- Amino acids (the building blocks of keratin)
- Nourishing botanicals
9. Style With Care
When using hot tools to style your hair, be sure to apply a heat protectant spray. Other ways to protect your hair during heat styling include:
- Take a break from hot tools at least once or twice a week
- Allow hair to air dry as often as possible
- Switch up the hot tools you use
- Use a moderate heat setting on your heat styling tools rather than the highest setting
- Try not to pass over the same section of hair more than once with a hot tool
- Make sure hair is completely dry before heat styling (use a microfiber towel rather than a regular towel to soak excess water from hair)
10. Use CBD Oil
Looking for an all-natural product that can help you get shinier, healthier hair? CBD Oil is brimming with nutrients, antioxidants, and fatty acids that help support lustrous, moisturized strands.
The nutrients in CBD oil help seal moisture into strands, prevent scalp dryness and improve blood circulation. With its potent anti-inflammatory properties, CBD oil can also help soothe scalp irritation that can harm hair growth.
To use CBD oil for healthy hair, try these tips:
- Massage CBD oil directly into your scalp once or twice a week
- Apply a few drops of CBD oil to the ends of the hair where it often gets the driest
- Use a drop or two of CBD oil to tame flyaways
- Use CBD oil as a pre-shampoo treatment
Want More Tips for Feeling Your Best?
Having shiny, healthy hair can help you feel more confident as you go about your life. We hope our list of the 10 best tips for healthy hair helps you achieve stronger, shinier locks.